The 14 trades of Glasgow
In 1605, fourteen Glasgow Incorporations came together in the Trades House of Glasgow, Glassford Street. The original incorporations (that still exist today) are:
The Incorporation of Hammermen
The Incorporation of Hammermen of Glasgow originally comprised craftsmen associated with metalworking – traditionally “men who wielded the hammer”, namely blacksmiths, goldsmiths, lorimers, cutlers, armourers, sword-makers, clockmakers, locksmiths, pewterers, tinsmiths etc.
The Incorporation of Hammermen’s crest is a hammer surmounted by a crown, and its motto “By Hammer in Hand, All Arts do Stand“. Today, men and women of the hammer embrace every aspect of modern engineering in all its disciplines.
The Master Court today
The Incorporation is governed by a Master Court led by the Deacon and the Collector, each of whom is elected in September for one year.
Deacon: Professor Bruce M Wood
Collector: David Westmore
Clerk: W Grant Johnston
- Professor Gordon Masterton OBE DL (Late Deacon)
- Lieutenant Colin Botfield RNR (Ex-Deacon)
- John A McKnight (Ex-Deacon)
- Andrew Young (Late Collector)
- Charles Craig
- Dr Nina Baker DL
- Dr Martin Cullen
- Raymond Lyon
- Michael O’Connor
- James Watson
- Dean Young
- Susan Cresswell
The Incorporation is governed by the Master Court which is headed by the Deacon, the Collector and a number of Masters who are elected annually.
No member of the Incorporation can become Deacon without first serving an annual term as Collector. The Collector’s job was to look after the alms of the Incorporation and today is nominally responsible for the Craft’s accounts and to persuade others to join the Craft.
View a full timeline of previous Deacons from 1900 to the present day.