ANNOUNCEMENT: Thank you to all who attended the Hammermen Talks events. Our next event will take place in September, so check back soon for more details.
We are the Hammermen of Glasgow
The Incorporation of Hammermen of Glasgow is a charity based on engineering trades founded in 1536, supporting pensioners and students in engineering courses in the west of Scotland.
Across Europe, from the 11th Century onwards, a system made up of guilds of craftsmen and merchants regulated the trade and commerce within their towns and cities.
Glasgow was such a city and had a sophisticated system of guilds – or Incorporations as they came to be known – which controlled the government of the Burgh, all headed by an officer known as the Deacon Convener.
The Hammermen were one of such guilds. From the 16th Century the Incorporation of Hammermen has supported trade and commerce for metalworkers and associated trades within the City of Glasgow.
Little over 450 years ago, these trades would have included goldsmiths, blacksmiths and locksmiths. Sword-makers, armourers, cutlers, lorimers and clockmakers would also have been represented by our organisation. And today, we represent every discipline of modern engineering, as well as many other trades typical in modern society including entrepreneurs, academics and industrialists.
We now have over 1,000 members and continue to support associated industries through fundraising and encouraging future talent.
The Incorporation of Hammermen of Glasgow are governed by a Master Court. This group of individuals make sure the activities of the craft run smoothly and ultimately benefit the cause of furthering engineering and associated trades. This is our Master Court:
Deacon: David Westmore
Collector: Dr Martin Cullen
Andrew Young (Late deacon)
Dr Nina Baker, DL (Late collector)
Professor Bruce Wood (Ex Deacon)
Professor Gordon Masterton, OBE, DL (Ex-Deacon)
Susan Cresswell (Master)
Mick O’Connor (Master)
David Cumming (Master)
Raymond Lyon (Master)
Anita Meldrum (Master)
Dean Young (Master)
Vickram Dhami (Master)
Clerk: W Grant Johnston